Grandparent Visitation Rights

Grandparent Visitation Rights Attorneys in Gresham

Maintain a Relationship with Your Grandchildren

When parents divorce or separate, grandparents sometimes get shut out of their grandchildren’s lives. Sometimes the custodial parent blocks contact with the grandparents out of fear. Other times, the custodial parent has concerns about the grandparents siding with the other parent.

Oregon allows grandparents to pursue court-ordered visitation under certain circumstances. You have to show:

  • An ongoing relationship with the child for at least a year, with regular contact
  • Continuing contact is in the best interest of the child
  • The custodial parent is not acting in the child’s best interest by denying contact

Proving what is best for the child can be difficult. Acting quickly and hiring an attorney is vital in these situations. If you are seeking visitation rights as a grandparent, turn to the team at Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law. Our Gresham grandparents’ rights attorneys are prepared to fight tirelessly to ensure that you can maintain a relationship with your grandchildren.

Call (503) 470-2230 or contact us online to get started on your case.

Raising Your Grandchildren

If you have been raising your grandchildren, you may need to consider additional legal steps to maintain their stability. A power of attorney for child care can enable you to deal with their school, daycare, and medical providers. This power of attorney allows you to act only when the custodial parent is absent. If you have concerns about the parents’ ability to safely care for the children due to substance abuse, domestic violence, mental health problems, or other issues, you may need to file for guardianship or third-party custody.

Child Welfare Involvement

If the grandchildren are in the custody of a state child protection agency, obtaining the right to raise them becomes more complicated. The child protection agency must approve you as a “substitute care provider.” You must follow extra rules since you are considered a foster parent, even though you also are a relative. If you live out of state, the approval process takes longer, and the child protection agency might want to keep the children close to the parents so they at least can have visits while trying to improve their living circumstances.

You have the right to get notice of and attend court hearings. You also have the right to have your home considered as a place for the children to live. You may be able to get additional information about the case if you file to intervene in the case or for rights of limited participation.

If you have any criminal convictions, no matter how old, you should first see a lawyer before approaching the child protection agency for a background check and consideration as a substitute care provider. Sometimes, a conviction that otherwise would bar you from being considered can be expunged.

Our grandparent visitation rights attorneys in Gresham are well-versed in these complex matters and are prepared to thoroughly assess your case and protect your rights as a grandparent.

Discuss your case with us during an initial consultation. Call (503) 470-2230 to schedule yours.

Former Clients Share Their Experiences

Your Story Matters
  • “Very Professional and Understanding”

    - DC
  • “When anyone asks what firm I went through, I will always mention Lillian.”

    - Toni
  • “She was very helpful on explaining what to expect and how I should represent myself.”

    - Former Client

Contact Us

Let's Get Started Together
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.