Attorney Kathryn Bourn joined Gresham Family & Bankruptcy Law in February 2016. She is passionate about helping people navigate the tough legal matters that arise in their lives. Kathryn routinely guides clients through the probate process and helps them manage their loved ones’ final affairs. She maintains an unwavering commitment to helping her clients craft clear and workable agreements. She is a fierce advocate in the courtroom when negotiation and settlement are not viable options.
Kathryn has over 17 years of experience practicing estate planning and probate – including cases involving wills, trusts, and powers of attorney – personal bankruptcy, and family law. She has successfully handled cases involving divorce, child custody, alimony, and child abuse or neglect.
Kathryn’s legal career began as a prosecutor handling domestic assault cases for the Clatsop County District Attorney’s Office. She then spent 11 years running her own family law and bankruptcy firm in Astoria. In 2010, she helped found a nonprofit organization that provides volunteer advocates for foster children. She also served as the executive director of Columbia County’s Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA) program until 2013. In 2013, she joined Kivel & Howard, practicing family law, debtor-creditor cases, and estate planning.
Kathryn was born and raised in Oregon; as such, she enjoys outdoor activities including gardening, snowshoeing, bicycling, and backpacking with her husky.
Areas of Practice
- Probate & Estate Administration / Contested Probate
- Wills & Estate Planning
- Elder Law & Elder Abuse
- Family / Divorce / Legal Separation
- Child Custody
- Parenting Time
- Child Support
- Spousal Support
- Restraining Orders (FAPA) / Stalking Orders
- Oregon State Bar, 1995
- U.S. District Court District of Oregon, 1997
- Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York – J.D. with an emphasis in advocacy
- University of Oregon, Eugene, Oregon – Bachelor’s degree in Journalism; Major in French; Women’s Studies Certificate
Professional Associations, Memberships & Activities
- Volunteer Attorney, Multnomah County Child Representation Project, 2017 to present.
- Volunteer Attorney, Legal Aid Society of Oregon Senior Law Project, 2017 to present.
- Member, Oregon State Bar Family Law, Debtor-Creditor, and Estate Planning & Administration Sections, Multnomah County Bar Association, and Oregon Gay and Lesbian Law Association
- Member/Former Board Member, Oregon Women Lawyers and Queen’s Bench
- Bankruptcy Clinic Volunteer, Multnomah County Volunteer Lawyer Project/Oregon State Bar Debtor-Creditor Section, Portland, Oregon, 2015 to 2016
- Testified before the Oregon Legislature on foster care issues, March 2013
- Member, Columbia County Multi-Disciplinary Team (addressing child abuse), 2010 to 2013
- Advocate for Domestic Violence Survivors, Call to Safety, 2005 to 2007
- Wildlife Tracker, Cascadia Wild, 2018
- Mock Trial Team Coach, David Douglas High School, 2016 to 2017
- Mobile Superhero, Sunday Parkways – Portland, Oregon, 2015 to 2016
- Member & Event Host, Portland Ladies Tea Guild – Portland, Oregon, 1999 to present